University of Bonn scholarships for German and international students


The University of Bonn is known for its excellent teaching and research record in mathematics. National rankings recommend Bonn as the best place in Germany to study mathematics.Many talented young people come to Bonn to study mathematics for a bachelor, master or a PhD degree. It is the place of choice for winners of mathematics competitions or for students supported by the prestigious "Studienstiftung", which awards scholarhips to less than one per cent of the best students at German universities. — No other department in Germany attracts as many students from this group.


If you hold a M.Sc. degree (or equivalent) or are expected to complete your degree prior to the beginning of your prospective Ph.D. studies, you may apply for a Hausdorff scholarship. Hausdorff scholarships are awarded for a period of two years with an optional extension of one more year. They carry a monthly stipend of 1468,00 EUR.

If you hold an M.Sc. degree, but do not feel prepared to start research for a thesis immediately, you may apply for a Qualifying scholarship for the duration of one year.

If you hold an B.Sc. degree, but do not feel prepared to start research for a thesis immediately, you should apply to the MSc program. The best applications are automatically suggested for a Qualifying scholarship for the duration of two years.


A monthly stipend of 800,00 EUR


Your documents must be in English or German! Use short English or German file-names without special characters (&, umlaut, tilde, etc.)

  1. Funding

  2. Indicate your funding situation.

Are you applying for one of the Hausdorff PhD grants or one of the qualifying grants? If you indicate that you need a scholarship by ticking the box, you will be considered for one, or for alternative funding.

When evaluating your application BIGS will screen the local funding possibilities. Are you interested in other funding possibilities and have you contacted faculty members or one of our department institutes?

  1. Indicate your housing needs.

University dormitories are almost entirely reserved for undergraduate students. PhD students are only accepted under special circumstances. However, under specific conditions BIGS can reserve a room for you for a term or two.

  1. Check if you meet the visa requirements.

Students from most countries outside the European Union will have to apply for a visa to study in Germany. Please inquire about the details from the German Embassy or a German Consulate in your home country. We are not asking you to get a visa before applying, we are asking you to check the information before you send the application, so that you know how long it will take to get a visa when you need one.

  1. Curriculum Vitae

Please, include in tabular form a description of your high school education and your undergraduate/graduate education, as well as your academic and non-academic occupations.

  1. Statement of purpose

Please, write a statement of up to two pages giving the reasons for yo